Over the last 10 years, the practice of crazy focus on a problem for a solid day with no distractions has resulted in the following innovations:-
- How to certify vent-less kitchen equipment in Australia. This has resulted in over 4000 installations across Australia and over 90 European & US products that would otherwise be unable to be imported into Australia.
- Constant tuning algorithms for commercial building energy use. This has resulted in the ability to propose tuning adjustments much faster than the monthly meetings proposed in Green Star criteria.
- Revised theories for air movement in car parks. This has resulted in tremendous capital cost and energy savings for owners and subcontractors.
- Curved face kitchen exhaust hoods. This has resulted in the design of street-level kitchen exhaust odour control systems. We have a curved face hood destined for the Australian Antarctica base for installation.
- Fire choke. This is a system that is to be certified that will allow the merger of solid fuel and non-solid fuel kitchen exhaust air streams. Watch this space, as the company involved in moving this design towards commercialisation.
- Playbook & Far-çade. Playbook and Far-cade are both quick modeling programs we have developed that can assist developers and designers in determining sizing, comfort, and energy outcomes to assessing HVAC (Playbook) and Façade (Far-cade). Far-cade is about “far-sighted” façade design – LCA, comfort and sizing, environmental and economic costs.
There are 5 or 6 others we could list but this list gives you a flavour of the sort of problems I am talking about.
If you have that thing that really annoys you (you know, “why hasn’t someone solved this problem before?”), let us know via email@example.com and we will schedule it for March Hackathon.
CPD FOR BUILDERS & ARCHITECTS GOING ONLINE
We are going to take our more popular CPD programs, convert them to ever-green webinars, and attach them to our CPD program. CPD certificates will be generated and issued to you if you satisfy the 80% pass mark in the online exams. The invitations will come out through the SEED ACADEMY Facebook page.
If you are a bit short of CPD points, then please undertake the CPD – it is relatively low cost and streamlined to be time-efficient.
CURRENT EXCITING CHALLENGES
There are some exciting challenges on our books this year. Unintentionally, it seems the theme this year is “working with nature”. We have a few projects where we are using natural ventilation to work beside air conditioning for thermal comfort and also beside fans to provide car park ventilation. We now have a kitchen ventilation project where the strength of the natural ventilation is a challenge.
Don’t be a stranger, if you want to catch up for coffee or chat, & share what’s happening in your neck of the woods, please give us a call.